Thursday 31 March 2016

The Force keeps stealing all the blanket....

Oh my Lord - I have just found My next BIG project. Have you ever just looked at something and just known that you NEED to do it? For the last two years my partner has watched me crochet gift after gift for other people, and just give them away. I haven't done anything for him (Cthulu excepted) and he does remind me of it. Most often, he will ask me when I am going to make a blanket for him. It is a question that has been in the back of my mind for a long time now. I know I need to make him a blanket, but I have never seen a pattern or an idea that has really been "just right". Until now. I present to you:

The Star Wars blanket!



I came across this pattern accidentally on Facebook. It is mostly designed by Ahooka and the how to guide, including technique videos, crochet charts, bonus patterns, and handy tips can be found on her website, here.

My biggest decision now is how much of a big project to make it? The website says that the original pattern works up at 100 by 120 cm. That is no where near big enough for my partner. It would make a nice lap blanket for him, but he is almost two meters tall, so it wouldn't really be comfortably snuggly. So how do I make it bigger? Use a thicker yarn and a larger size hook, or do the absolutely crazy and make it a corner to corner (C2C) blanket? A C2C blanket would be pretty darned big, and should certainly cover enough of him to be snuggly. But would it be too big? Is there such a thing as a blanket that is too big? Look how big I made the creeper blanket....

I think I just talked myself into a C2C blanket.....That would be a real labour of love right there....

Edit: I have decided not to do a C2C blanket. I have instead decided to keep the original style and technique, but to add extra designs. Following the links on the website, I was able to find 18 extra squares to add to the blanket, (including the Kylo, Rey, etc found on the designers Etsy page), and think I can make the blanket big enough that way. Bonus!!

No comments: